Frequently Asked Questions
- What is a qualifying contribution?
- Can I use this service to make a seed money contribution to a candidate?
- When can I make a qualifying contribution?
- Who can make a qualifying contribution or donation to the Maine Clean Election Fund?
- Other important information
- Information for candidates
A qualifying contribution is a contribution of $5 or more made in support of a candidate who wants to run for office as a Maine Clean Election Act candidate.
Candidates must raise a certain number of qualifying contributions to show they have community support from individual voters who are registered in their district.
No. Seed money contributions must be made directly to the candidate. To look up their mailing address, go to the list of candidates on the Ethics Commission's public disclosure site at https://secure.mainecampaignfinance.com/PublicSite/SearchPages/CandidateList.aspx.
For gubernatorial candidates, from October 15, 2017 to October 16, 2018. For legislative candidates, from January 1, 2018 to October 16, 2018.
- Only individuals can make qualifying contributions.
- You must be registered to vote in the candidate's district.
- Anyone can make a donation to the Maine Clean Election Fund.
- Qualifying contributions can only be made with the contributor's personal funds.
- Contributions made with a business credit card will not be counted.
- The candidate cannot give anything in exchange for the contribution.
- There is no fee for using this service.
- You will need a valid debit or credit card (VISA or MasterCard).
- You may see the qualifying contributions you have received by logging into your administrative site.
- Log into the site by clicking the Candidate Login link.
- Enter the same username and password you use to log into the E-Filing site. Call the Ethics Commission if you don't have that information.
Questions about this service? Contact the Ethics Commission at (207) 287-4179 or firstname.lastname@example.org